- London Jobs
- £120k - 150k per year
- Full Time
- Financial Services Jobs
Title: Head of Legal Europe
Department: Legal & Compliance
Hiring Manager: General Counsel – Global
International insurtech business. A unique model integrating device protection, insurtech exchange, and digital insurance, our clients vision is to connect people with more ways to protect the things they value.
In this position you will…
As the leader of the legal and compliance team across Europe and member of the organisations European leadership team, you will lead the legal, company secretarial, data protection and regulatory compliance functions supporting the company’s businesses across Europe and, should it expand, in other territories.
You may also be asked to support the Groups legal and compliance function in respect of tasks in other locations, from time to time.
You will be responsible for…
- Provide business-strategy-aligned services for legal, compliance and company secretarial functions, with agility;
- Lead the process of identifying and resolving legal and regulatory issues to facilitate business growth;
- Manage litigation and disputes;
- Provide support to products/underwriting and distribution teams on design of insurance products.
- Work closely with Group stakeholders/functions including Legal, Compliance and Company Secretariat to implement Group policies and standards and report on, escalate and mitigate risks and issues
- Promote awareness of new laws and regulations and establish and maintain mechanisms to monitor on-going compliance;
Regulator Relationship Management:
- Lead and/or oversee the communication with insurance and data privacy regulators and set the direction for regulatory readiness in time of rapid change;
Corporate Governance & Company Secretary:
- Advise and assist board members and senior management with corporate governance matters;
- Perform the function of company secretary for relevant business units
- Work closely with Group General Counsel & Company Secretary to establish and maintain high standards of corporate governance
Risk Monitoring and Review
- Periodic and pro-active review of legal and compliance risks ensuring checks and balances are in place to detect and control such risks;
- Advise business/support drafting of contracts to be entered into;
- Contract end-to-end process management: contract review process, contract signature rules and contract library;
- Oversee the regional Compliance function and Data Protection Office and provide support and provide guidance
- Ensure adequate resourcing and budgeting of Compliance function
- Ensure the annual Compliance Plan and Report are delivered in a timely manner and updates regularly provided to senior management and the Board
- Ensure the implementation of systems and controls to monitor and mitigate legal and compliance risks
- Foster a culture of compliance throughout the country operations.
- Ensure the implementation of systems and controls to monitor and mitigate legal and compliance risks including delivery of training, reporting and support to business functions on compliance related matters
Statutory Role / Regulatory Appointments:
- As required, serve as named company secretary, data protection officer key person for control functions.
- Actively and strategically manage outside counsel relationships and related expense as part of a function budget
- Actively manage direct reports and team as a whole
For you to be successful…
- Be a problem solver with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities with a “roll up the sleeves” approach;
- Lead and inspire those in your team and sphere of influence
- Work well within a complex reporting matrix
- Demonstrate strong technical capability
- Be highly disciplined
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills in local language and English, including the ability to effectively communicate with senior management, outside experts and Group stakeholders
- Approachability, flexible working style and commercial approach to the law are crucial
- You will understand and protect the interests of the group, working with stakeholders across the organisation.
You will require the following qualifications and skills
- Experienced qualified lawyer with fifteen (15) years of post-qualification insurance and/or telecommunications or technology sector background
- In-house management experience
- Solid experience dealing with relevant regulators
- In depth insurance distribution knowledge, and ability to apply it to business products and processes
- In depth regulatory compliance knowledge an ability to apply it to business products and processes
- Demonstrated strong technical legal expertise including solid knowledge of data privacy, financial crimes regulations (e.g. AML, CTF, IS, ABC) and corporate law. IP experience is desirable
- Strong interest and proficiency in using and adopting technology. Strong computer skills, software proficiency (MS Office minimum, Diligent Boards and Diligent Entities desirable) and willingness to adopt new technologies
- Demonstrated company secretarial expertise.
- French or German language proficiency desirable.
London: 0203 411 8430