- Hertfordshire Jobs
- £50k - 55k per year
- Full Time
- Technology Jobs
Location: Hertford, Hertfordshire
Job Title: Application Support Specialist
Job Type: Permanent, full-time, office based 5 days a week
Salary: Up to £55,000 (dependent on experience)
With offices in Europe, North America and Asia, founded with a vision to build a new class of retail system: one that would give retailers actual, real control over their destiny. Believing that continuous innovation around new functionality, customer value propositions and the deployment of new channels should not require major development or additional license purchases but should instead be accomplished with a genuinely agile retail system.
The Application Support Specialists role is a pivotal role that supports the company application and infrastructure. You will help to ensure that Customers and Partners have a seamless experience with the suite of products and hosted company systems. Working as part of a global team you will be exposed to incidents and problems that have been raised primarily in the UK. However, with current and new Customers coming on stream in the near future this will include incidents raised across Europe, Asia and the US. The role gives you the opportunity to be part of a dynamic high performing team and also to be at the forefront of cutting-edge Retail and Web Retail technology.
This team is responsible for provision of 3rd/4th level technical application support for a range of Unix and Windows-based systems running in Azure, AWS and on-prem. These systems are mainly Web and Java applications developed in a variety of open source technologies including Unix, Java, Docker, Maria DB, Tomcat etc.
You will provide incident/problem diagnosis and resolution. Typically, the issues escalated to the team are complex and span across technologies, networks, and hardware. The role therefore requires a broad and high degree of technical knowledge across multiple platforms and technologies. Full training will be given in the suite of products.
Day to Day
- Responsible for supporting and ensuring the stability of the applications (Both hosted by company and hosted by our Customers at their data centres and in store)
- Change, Incident and Problem management according to guidelines.
- Participate in change planning, deployment and review.
- Perform proactive maintenance activities, engage in creating scripts for automation activities, and perform root cause analysis and remediation.
- Write and maintain scripts to monitor system functionality and performance via Zabbix.
- Work on analysing and reproducing the issues reported by Customers.
- On occasions, and on a rota basis, for urgent customer issues, provide out of hours support on investigating issues.
- Supporting Customer configuration changes from inception to delivery
- Proactively assign, manage and prioritize relevant support tickets on the ticketing queue using Zendesk
- Configuration management in multiple environments
- Support application deployment during hardware upgrades for production services
- Ability to take ownership and become subject matter experts in various parts of the applications and systems.
What we are looking for
- Bachelors in a computing degree or engineering degree
- 2-5 years’ experience
- Excellent level of English both spoken and written
- Solid working experience in an application support function driving high availability on active/active environments
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with a strong automation/monitoring mind-set
- Experience using change, incidents and problem management systems such as Zendesk, Jira or equivalent.
- Excellent documentation skills
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Hands-on approach with the ability to deliver to commitments
- Strong customer service focus with a desire to deliver a high-quality service
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical Customer stakeholders
- Strong communications skills with a demonstrable ability to interact and influence at all levels within the organization
Must have either proven themselves to be technically skilled by having already worked as a coder for a minimum of one year, or worked for 2 years in a role that involved highly technical problem-solving.
Examples of this could include:–
- System testing -involving set up configuration, investigation and reporting of bugs/problems.
- Min 1 year experience of troubleshooting and working on Windows or Linux systems, including remote connection to, understanding of File organization and starting/stopping/managing processes.
- Min 1 year experience of testing, developing or troubleshooting a large and complex computer system of some kind.
- Experience conducting root cause analysis.
- Good working knowledge of application integration, testing
- Strong experience working with relational databases such as Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server and DB querying, scripting experience
- Database -understanding of SQL and ability to query databases and investigate data issues.
- Experience with either UNIX/Linux, or Windows operating systems
- Knowledge of networking concepts and protocols such as DNS, HTTP, TCP/IP, PKI, SSL
- System administration and troubleshooting of live system
- Any retail experience especially in a web or store environment
- Experience with Cloud deployments in Azure and AWS.
- Experience planning, deploying and reviewing changes for critical applications.
- Experience in supporting Java applications that run in Apache Tomcat, JWS, or similar containers.
- Infrastructure set up and troubleshooting
- Experience of Docker / Kubernetes/Jenkins
- Linux or Windows setup and administration
- Linux Shell or Windows Powershell scripting experience
- Experience in managing, owning and delivering high-quality projects to objectives and within time scales
- Understanding of Infrastructure/Server components
For a full brief please contact one of our specialist consultants:-
Tel: 0203 411 8430