- London Jobs
- £37k - 42k per year
- Full Time
- Financial Services Jobs
Job Title – Assistant Underwriting Accountant
Contract – Permanent
Salary – £42,000
Location – London
Purpose of the Job:
This role is part of the Underwriting Ledgers team and is responsible for the timely and accurate processing and reconciliation of the Syndicate and the Group general ledgers, with ownership of all aspects of the day-to-day accounting. The role is critical in ensuring that the books and records of both entities are maintained in an accurate and efficient manner and that the balance sheet position is understood and justified. The person must also continually identify, assess, drive and own improvements to the underlying processes that support data flows into the general ledger working closely with cross functional parties.
This role will provide support and assistance to the general ledgers of Group Syndicate as required.
The person will also assist in the production and review of regulatory returns and work closely with the Regulatory Reporting team and Underwriting Accounting team as required.
- To take responsibility for the timely and accurate processing and reconciliation of the Syndicate and Group general ledgers, with ownership of all aspects of the day-to-day accounting. This role will provide support and assistance to the general ledgers of Syndicates as required.
- Develop and maintain controls for the ledger processes ensuring consistency of approach.
- Take responsibility for the reconciliation, balancing, investigation and clearance of general ledger accounts ensuring robust financial control is maintained over all accounts.
- Prepare and present analytical reviews of the Syndicate balance sheet and profit & loss accounts with commentary to differing stakeholders within the wider Finance function.
- Completion of Financial Statements.
- Identify and implement process improvements relating to the production of financial information and automate where possible, in particular using Finance MI.
- Maintain control over all underwriting control accounts ensuring balances are tightly monitored.
- Be proactive in working across functions (operations, other finance departments & underwriting) in agreeing and resolving queries.
- Provide support and oversight of performance against SLAs as required for Underwriting Ledger’s team processes operated by Infosys.
- Liaise with auditors providing transparent reconciliations schedules with appropriate supporting documentation.
- Liaise with other departments to ensure timely and accurate provision of underwriting/financial data for postings and reconciliation.
- Assist in the production and review of Lloyd’s regulatory reporting returns as required for Syndicates.
Education, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
Business & Educational Experience
- Part qualified accountant preferable (exam finalist in ACA/ACCA/CIMA or equivalent).
- Minimum of three years’ experience within the London Insurance Market.
- Experience of working in a team and as an individual.
- Educated to a good overall standard, with good overall pass grades in relevant subjects.
- Excel functionality to an intermediate user level (e.g. Pivot Tables, Lookups).
- Good knowledge of Great Plains / Dynamics GP general ledger preferred.
- Data analysis tools and techniques. Competencies
- Consistently deliver high quality results, on time and within budget (where applicable).
- Effective time management, ability to manage own workload appropriately.
- Effective communication / influencing skills across various parts of the organisation.
- Builds and maintains strong and effective working relationships across the organisation.
- Multi-task oriented and shows flexibility when working on several activities simultaneously.
- Self-motivation, strong work ethic.
- Good attention to detail / analytical skills.
- Strong knowledge retention.
- Ability to consistently be effective in meetings/manage meetings effectively.
Regulatory Conduct Rules
- Act with integrity.
- Act with due skill, care and diligence.
- Be open and co-operative with Lloyd’s, the FCA, the PRA, and other regulators.
- Pay due regard to the interests of customers and treat them fairly.
- Observe proper standards of market conduct
For a full brief please contact one of our specialist consultants:-
Tel: 0203 411 8430