- London Jobs
- £140k - 160k per year
- Full Time
- Pricing & Actuarial Jobs
Job Title – North American In House Legal Counsel
Contract – Permanent
Salary – Circa £160,000
Location – London
Reports To: In House Counsel – Head of Claims and Underwriting
Purpose of the Job
To be part of the Insurance legal team providing legal and regulatory advice to the Insurance group generally. Specifically providing sound US legal advice and guidance to the Claims Department and Underwriting teams.
- Be responsible as a member of the Insurance company legal team for managing the Group’s legal risk;
- Provide US legal advice to the Claims Department on any contentious or potentially contentious matter;
- Provide US legal advice to claims adjusters and underwriters on coverage issues;
- Report directly to In House Counsel – Head of Claims and Underwriting on US claims in litigation and other claims and underwriting issues exposing the Group to legal risk in the US;
- Report on non-claims related litigation involving the Group;
- Assisting with the management quality control and measurement of US Defence and Monitoring Counsel.
- Assisting with the negotiation of US Claims Settlements;
- Review and comment on US legal advice received from external advisers on claims and underwriting issues
- Assist in the drafting and/or review of documentation received or produced by the Claims Department including: settlement and release agreements, commutation agreements, confidentiality agreements, statements of case, and witness statements;
- Provide legal advice to underwriters and their support teams on matters including: policy drafting, legal and regulatory developments, insurance law, delegated underwriting agreements and contractual arrangements with brokers;
- Manage and control the service and advice provided by external US legal advisors to ensure maximum value is achieved, including the exercise of an appropriate level of oversight in respect of firms providing their services; and advise outwards reinsurance team on drafting and recovery issues.
- Monitor, keep abreast of and provide seminars on recent US legal developments or key legal issues and relevant claims related regulations;
- Attend regular meetings with underwriting, claims and actuarial teams to ensure mutual exchange of information and joined up response to emerging issues; and
- Represent the group on market groups, forums and committees as appropriate.
Decision Making Responsibilities
- General advice to senior managers and the EC on legal matters.
- Negotiate settlement of US legal disputes involving the Group and provide clear guidance on strategy for resolving legal disputes.
- Continual monitoring of US legal developments likely to have an impact on the Insurance group suggesting possible strategies and solutions to minimise US legal risks facing the Insurance group.
- Support the process of appointing external advisers.
- Advise the In-House Counsel – Head of Claims and Underwriting when a strategic change or legal strategy is required.
Education, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- US legal professional qualification.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of insurance and reinsurance law and regulations likely to have been gained at a leading US insurance law firm.
- Recent US legal experience at a US insurance law firm.
- In-depth insurance industry knowledge and experience, focusing on advising on claims and underwriting matters.
- Reinsurance industry experience.
- Proven ability to influence stakeholders and to build the profile of the legal function in a corporate environment.
- Ability to operate at board level if and when necessary.
- Good influencing, negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to find practical solutions to US legal issues.
- Ability to adapt to changing demands on in-house counsel and to learn and develop new skills and areas of expertise.
- Flexibility to travel as necessary.
- Claims experience in the US and various other jurisdictions.
For Extra Information on the Company Please Contact:-
London: 0203 411 8430