- Essex Jobs
- £40k - 50k per year
- Full Time
Role Title: Property & Casualty New Business Underwriter
Location: Colchester, Essex
Salary: Up to £50,000
Role Summary and Purpose
To achieve regional GWP, income and profit objectives through the delivery of an efficient service to brokers, supporting the management of the regional account in conjunction with the regional strategy, financial plan and personal objectives. Expected to perform with autonomy within defined parameters.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Write profitable Property & Casualty new business with a minimum threshold of £1.5M
- Achieve Profitability, Growth and Expense targets by managing and operating to the Key Performance Indicators of the region.
- Write new business, or renewals and mid-term adjustments of varying complexity up to authority and binder limits. Authority level is reflective of knowledge, experience and qualifications.
- Enhance the organisations standing and presence locally by establishing and maintaining strong personal relationships with key directors and staff at the Region’s most important brokers
- Contribute towards business Income & Gross Written Premium (GWP) objectives whilst working towards the business’s annual Target Loss Ratios and rate targets.
- Responsibility to ensure survey requests, survey overviews and policy documentation are processed, maintaining all relevant reporting tools.
- Conduct regular case reviews to ensure that technical procedures and standards are followed, in accordance with the Company QA procedures.
- Support the personal development of the underwriting staff in the Branch by delivering technical guidance skills.
- Handle referral cases above the authority levels of Underwriters, Assistant Underwriters and Development Underwriters whilst adhering to individual authority level.
- Contribute to the technical knowledge of the Company by feeding back technical and commercial market intelligence to the Regional Director & wider team.
- Maintain personal knowledge of relevant technical issues.
- Work collaboratively with other parts of the organisation, especially the claims and survey teams, when required.
Role Requirements & Skills
Skills / Competencies
- Understanding your insurance market – at least 3 years’ experience in Commercial underwriting (or broking)
- Proven broker account development and management
- Being able to negotiate flexibly and appropriately – manage a profitable portfolio
- Win, renew and manage out individual cases and books of business.
- Effective selling skills
- Demonstrates a range of influencing and negotiation approaches
- Risk perception/Risk selection skills
- Pricing of risk accordingly
- Successfully developing effective trading relationships
- Consistently achieving goals and objectives
- Trading successfully in the insurance marketplace
- Experience working across functions / matrix organisation to collaborate and build strong relationships
Minimum Cert CII. Dip CII, or progress towards, is preferred
The job holder will have at least 3 years Commercial Underwriting experience, strong interpersonal skills and work in a structured, planned manner.
For extra information please contact:-
London: 0203 411 8430